I love it when I ask the kids what they’d like for dinner and the suggestions that come back are all healthy.
Yesterday my son requested prawn and chicken Thai curry and today my daughter requested “that yummy stuff with the rounds beans in it”. It took me a minute to deduce she meant chick peas, so of course I made it for her – what she meant was stew.
The best thing about this stew is that it uses seasonal ingredients as its flavour base – pumpkins and tons of fresh turmeric.
- 500g organic stewing beef
- 1 small pumpkin or squash. I used one small blue ballet pumpkin
- 100g of fresh turmeric fingers
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tin of chickpeas in water
- 1 litre of organic beef stock
- 1 clove of garlic
- Melt the coconut oil and brown the meat in a pan
- Add the browned meat to a slow cooker
- In the same pan brown the onion and garlic which can be chopped roughly into strips
- Once soft also add this to the slow cooker
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas and beef stock and stir
- Peel and chop the squash/pumpkin into cubes and also add to the pan along with the turmeric which apart from washing needs no prep.
- Season with salt and pepper and slow cook for 7 hours.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 7 hours