As the nights draw in and the heating is turned on to keep the chill at bay my food choices immediately turn to hearty, bone-warming meals which quite often means casseroles, stews and roasts.
Tonight was one of those nights so I dusted off the slow cooker and made my favourite casserole.
Even though it’s packed with veggies – seven to be exact, it’s a firm family favourite evidenced by my two children hoovering it up in minutes!!
Cooking in a slow cooker (crockpot) doesn’t take much brain power as you literally chuck all the ingredients in the pot and let the cooking process create the magic. The real test is being patient and letting the casserole cook for five hours plus.
- 6-8 filleted chicken thighs
- 3 tbsps coconut oil
- 1 carton of passata
- 2 tsps cumin seeds
- 2 tsps coriander seeds
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp rock salt
- 1 onion
- 1 courgette
- 200g chopped swede
- Handful of mushrooms
- 3 carrots
- 200g chopped aubergine
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbsp onion salt
- 200ml cold water.
- Brown off the chicken thighs in the coconut oil
- In a pestle and mortar mash the rock salt, garlic, cumin seeds and coriander seeds into a paste and add to the slow cooker along with the chicken and drained chickpeas
- Chop all the vegetables into cubes and add to the slow cooker along with the passata and onion salt.
- Add water and mix all the ingredients well.
- Turn the cooker up to high and cook for a minimum of five hours.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 5 hours