I think I can safely say I am a psyllium husk convert. I discovered it in a seeded bread recipe and haven’t found anything better to act as ‘glue’ when baking without conventional ingredients.
Today I road tested it with my flapjacks. I followed no set recipe instead I just mixed all my favourite ingredients and by luck (and skill of course) created the perfect no-crumble, guilt free, flavour packed flapjack.
- 2 tbsps of psyllium husk (buy at organic/health food shops)
- 400g rolled oats
- 200g jumbo raisins and cranberries
- 3 tbsps chia seeds
- 2 tbsps coconut oil
- 250g of rice sugar
- 150ml of water
- 1tbsp vanilla essence
- 75g crushed walnuts
- Pre heat the oven to 180c
- Line a large baking tray with foil
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
- Flatten the mixture in the baking tray
- Bake on the top shelf for 30 minutes
- Take out of the oven and remove from the tray also removing the foil. Put the flapjacks back on the tray and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cut into 12 squares before they cool and harden.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes.